A move can be stressful enough without worrying if you chose the right home moving company. A great moving company can help eliminate some of the inevitable anxiety involved in a relocation. However, choosing the company to help with your move can make a difficult situation even more trying.
We wanted to compile a short list of five things to consider when choosing a home moving company to increase the likelihood that you have a positive experience.
- Check Reviews – This may seem obvious, but it is well worth your time to check reviews in several places for the moving companies you are considering. You can find reviews in places like the Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List, Yelp and social media pages.
- Properly Compare Proposals – It is not uncommon for different moving companies to charge differently for services. Make sure you understand what is included, and what is not, on any given estimate. You might find that the lowest proposal does not cover all the things a more expensive one does and is actually more expensive when properly compared.
- How Long Has Each Company Been In Business? – While length of time in business is not the only or most important determinant, it should be considered. Each move can present particular challenges, and the more experience a company has, the more likely they will have faced the inevitable challenges of your move.
- Do They Carry All Relevant Licenses? – It may seem obvious, but ask to see that the moving companies you are considering carry all required licenses. An example would be that any movement between states in the United States would require a US DOT number. They should be able to provide you with this number and you can verify that it is valid by visiting the Department of Transportation Website.
- Are They Properly Insured – If something were to happen to your belongings in the process of the move would they be properly covered. Ask any potential mover for a copy of their insurance policy and make sure that the policy covers anything you plan to have moved. An insurance policy might leave you without coverage if it specifically excludes items you plan to move.
We welcome your questions regarding using NEDRAC for your upcoming relocation. If you would like to discuss this article about choosing a home moving company, your particular move or have any questions regarding NEDRAC, our insurance, licenses or reviews, please contact us at (760) 345-9621. If you would like a quote on a shipment, please fill out the contact form below.